Category Archives: Latest News

What you need to know about moving to Canada

"Peyto Lake-Banff NP-Canada" by Tobias Alt, Tobi 87 - Own work. Licensed under GFDL via Wikimedia Commons -

“Peyto Lake-Banff NP-Canada” by Tobias Alt, Tobi 87 – Own work. Licensed under GFDL via Wikimedia Commons –

For useful articles and tips on moving to other countries and life as an expat, please like the PSS International Removals Facebook page and follow the Twitter profile

Despite the fact a British speciality food shop recently stopped selling famous UK goods including Marmite and Irn-Bru because they contained ‘unapproved ingredients’, Canada is still the second most popular destination for British expats, behind Australia.

It is also the world’s second-largest country, and was colonised by the British and French in the 15th century, meaning that today it is officially bilingual, with almost a quarter of citizens speaking French. But this isn’t the only reason Canada is popular – the spirit of the kind and generous people, the outdoor lifestyle, the breath-taking scenery, the snowy winters and hot summers all contribute to its magnetic pull.

Most Canadians are fortunate enough to have access to high quality healthcare and for those with a healthy sense of adventure; there is an incredible variety of regions to explore. Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and world-class ski resorts including Whistler and Calgary are just the tip of the iceberg.

Canada is a vast expanse, where locals and tourists alike can holiday in the country every year without getting restless. A trip to see the northern lights in Newfoundland and whale-watching off Vancouver are also experiences you are never likely to forget.

Interestingly, when it comes to the Canuck language, ‘suckers’ are lollipops; ‘noodles’ means pasta; a ‘loonie’ is a dollar; a ‘parkade’ is a multi-storey car park; a ‘gas bar’ is the petrol station and ‘hydro’ means electricity. Ice hockey, known simply as ‘hockey’ in Canada, and lacrosse are the country’s national sports. Mail is never delivered on Saturdays and some famous Canadians include Pamela Anderson, Leonard Cohen, Avril Lavigne, Keanu Reeves and Jim Carrey – alrighty then!

Most Canadian emigrants usually require the ‘skilled workers and professionals’ visa, but in order to be successful in obtaining one, you’ll have to prove your worth and unique skillset to the economy. You will be scored on criteria including age and occupation, with 67 points needed to be considered for entry. Failing that there are visas for entrepreneurs and investors, for people who have skills that are needed in a specific province, and family visas for those joining a spouse or family member. For further information, take a look at the Canadian Citizen and Immigration service’s Visa Wizard to see whether you’re eligible.

You must be able to show you have sufficient income to support yourself and any dependants you might have before entering the country, unless you’ve already arranged employment in Canada. And you will also need to pass a medical exam.

A UK state pension is payable, but unfortunately you will not get annual increases in benefit once you have ceased to be resident in the UK. This means your benefit will stay at the same rate as when you left the UK.

You’ll also only need routine vaccinations, though Hepatitis B is recommended, as well as rabies if you are likely to be involved in any activities that might bring you into direct contact with bats, carnivores and other mammals.

Should you decide to emigrate to Canada you’ll be made to feel welcome. The country has one of the highest per capita immigration rates in the world. In fact, according to the Canadian immigration service the country attracted between 240-265,000 new permanent residents in 2013 alone.

Unfortunately, this rise in popularity is occasionally exploited by scammers so a specialist removals company such as PSS International Removals and their partners can safely guide you through the tricky business of applying for a Canadian visa. Although you’ll generally find the visa application process greatly improved by obtaining a job offer, PSS works closely with a number of visa specialist partners to ensure that you receive a successful migration. If you would like one of our partners to contact you and assist with your visa application process, please complete this form.


South Africa – New regulations on travelling with children

For useful articles and tips on moving to other countries and life as an expat, please like the PSS International Removals Facebook page and follow the Twitter profile

From safaris to skyscrapers, South Africa is a unique and exciting place to either holiday or start a new life. If you and your family are planning to travel there, it’s important to make sure that you tick all the legal boxes asked of you. As new regulations are soon to be imposed, take a look at what you need to prepare with our simple checklist.

What’s changing?

From 1st June 2015, there will be tighter rules designed to improve child safety. There will be specific paperwork that you need when travelling with children under the age of 18. This will affect joint parents, single parents and other guardians, as all will be asked to show relevant certificates for the children travelling.

What do the experts think?

South Africa saw tourism surge by 284% between 2005 and 2011. Recently ranked as the second fastest-growing holiday destination in the world, 1 in 20 jobs in the country operate in the travel and tourism industry. Because tourism is so important to the country, those who work in the industry are worried that these new rules might be off-putting to families. Dr Anna Spenceley, a tourism specialist based in South Africa, said that “a proper study and evaluation should be undertaken [which] should include implications for normal travellers”.

Going to South Africa?

With such a beautiful and diverse landscape, the perks of travelling to South Africa far outweigh the short-lived trouble of getting there.  Here we’ve created a simple checklist which breaks down the different documentation you will require depending on your circumstances. Most importantly, you’ll need birth certificates, which are fairly easy to get hold of:

– Head to the General Registration Office to order your certificates
– Pay £9.25 for a certificate within three weeks
– Pay £23.40 for a fast-track service taking a couple of working days
– In Scotland and Northern Ireland, the route is similar with slightly more expensive costs
– Alternatively, if you know where your children’s births were registered, you may be able to print certificates off at this specific office

South Africa immigration regulations 2015