How to Get the Cheapest Shipping to Australia Without Compromising on Quality of Service
After taking the big decision to move to Australia, it is soon followed by another big question – what’s the cheapest way to ship personal belongings to Australia?
Choosing which company to help ship your items “down under” means gathering a few different quotes. It is easy to choose the cheapest quote you find, but be careful because the cheaper quote can soon become the most expensive one down the line.
In this post, we are going to look into how you can find the best value for money when shipping your stuff from the UK to Australia. This does not mean looking for the cheapest at face value. We will help you go through the small print so you know what is and what is not included with your quote. We will also give you crucial information on false economies that may look lucrative at first but will cost you more over time. Cheap is a false goal – you want value for money!
For more information and guide prices, take a look at our other post discussing how much it will cost to ship from the UK to Australia. This article goes into some specific figures for your reference. Alternatively, click here for a personal quote for your shipping needs.
Is it Expensive to Ship to Australia from the UK?
Posting smaller personal goods from the UK to Australia can get expensive. Making the most of additional checked in luggage with airlines is not always a cost-effective solution and most airlines apply a restriction on the number of additional bags you can board with anyway.
There is a much more economical option. Choosing to ship from the UK to Australia by sea is cheaper than most people realise. If you use an established company that specialises in relocating people to Australia, they can save you a lot of money. Also, when sending by sea, the more boxes you ship means the more cost effective it is.
When you consider that Australia is on the other side of the planet, the costs to relocate so far is relatively cheap – especially when you compare it to the costs of relocating within the UK. Yet moving continents and time zones will mean considering other costs. Being aware of these is key to starting your Australian life with more Aussie dollars in your wallet.
Low Cost Shipping Methods to Australia
There are various methods of shipping your personal items to Australia at a low cost. The best method for you will hinge on the number of items to be shipped and the timeframe for your arrival. Once you choose the best method for you, there are more ways of reducing costs. Check out our tips below for more guidance.
Cheap Parcel and Package Shipping to Australia
Royal Mail is your go-to option if you just want to cheaply send a small parcel. There are other similar parcel-sending services online such as Parcel Monkey. Look around the different options like these for the best quote. These methods are only suitable for small parcels and packages. For heavier items and larger quantities, it is financially beneficial to seek a personal shipping company like PSS International.
Excess Baggage / Luggage Shipping to Australia
If your baggage exceeds the standard luggage allowance provided by your airline, it is better to look for cheaper shipping alternatives. Your options are:
- Airline Excess Baggage fees– choosing to add more bags to your booking can be expensive but can be a good option when booked in advance.
- Excess Baggage Service by air – an air courier service can be beneficial for those wanting to save some money and need their belongings to arrive fast.
- Ship By Sea – the most wallet-friendly option is to have your items sent by sea. PSS International offer this service and will deliver items from door to door from the UK to Australia.
So, the bottom line is – to get the cheapest shipping deal from the UK to Australia you should opt for sending your goods by sea. It can take 8 to 12 weeks for your items to arrive, but it will save you a lot of money.
Cheapest Way to Ship Boxes to Australia
If you will only be shipping a small number of items or are relocating from a small flat, you can reduce your shipping costs through a box-shipping service. The company will provide the boxes / cartons for you to pack your items in.
These international removal or shipping companies usually offer a packing service as well. You can save more money by doing your own packing. These companies will often offer a discount when sending more boxes.
Undoubtedly, this can be a great option for some future Aussies, but it is not an adequate shipping method for those that need to ship large pieces of furniture.
Cheapest Way to Ship Furniture to Australia
The cheapest way to ship furniture to Australia from the UK is using an international removal company. When you consider the distance between the two countries, the price of sending furniture and large items surprises many people – in a good way!
International removals require the help of an international shipping company with expertise in packing and handling large items. Customers have the option to book a 20 or 40-foot container to relocate many possessions or large items. If you ship a smaller number of items but still require their services, you can save more money by sharing a container with other people migrating to Australia from the UK.
Cheap Car and Vehicle Shipping to Australia
Vehicles can be more expensive in Australia, which is why many people choose to ship their car there too. There are different options when it comes to sending your car on a long “road” trip. These methods include:
- RORO – the Roll On and Roll Off method may appear to be the cheapest method at face value, but you need to consider further costs. This option requires extra time and money to drop it off at a UK port and pick it up from an Australian port. The quotes for this method will usually exclude other fees such as customs clearance fees. It may be cheaper to use a container service over the long haul.
- If you are shipping personal effects, shipping your car along with your furniture in a large container is potentially cheaper than a RORO option and is certainly more convenient.
Tips for Reducing Custom Charges, Quarantine Fees and Other Costs
- Taking the time to fully understand Australian customs regulations and procedures is vital to avoid further overall shipping costs. If you fail to comply or fail to research your obligations, additional costs such as customs duties, taxes and fees will need to be paid before you can be reunited with your items.
- Considering the time frame of your own arrival is important. You need to make sure you land in Australia before your personal items so you can take delivery of them. If not, you will need to pay more fees to keep them in bonded storage until you arrive.
- Check for and consult the prohibited items list when entering Australia. Some things such as animal, plant and vegetable products are not allowed inside Australia from another country to protect their ecosystem. If you send any items on the prohibited list and they require further investigation by an official from Biosecurity, you will be welcomed to your new land with more costs and fees.
- More information on Australian customs / quarantine charges and fees can be found here.
Now you have had a crash course on common methods of shipping to Australia, we would like to give you even more tips on how to save more money.
- Shipping by sea to Australia is more cost-effective than using air freight.
- Although the time your belongings will spend in transit is from 6 to 12 weeks, you should always factor in some extra time, just in case your belongings are delayed in customs.
- Choose a shipping company that is known for being experts at shipping to Australia from the UK. Companies with experience have connections and can get the best deals for you.
- Check quotes carefully to understand what is and what is not included for the price.
- Clear out your unwanted possessions before requesting quotes. This will make sure you choose the right type of service and get a more accurate quote.
- On the other hand, remember that Australia can be much more expensive than the UK. Paying more for shipping can save you over the long term as you will not have to pay increased prices to replace furniture and other items. It is always worth keeping hold of white goods when moving to Australia.
- Book in advance with shipping companies so they can get you the best possible price.
- Some periods of the year offer cheaper shipping to Australia than other times of the year. For example, shipping in January, February, October and November can be more expensive.
- Remember that the shipping price per cubic foot reduces with the more items you choose to ship.
- Do not be shy to ask for expert advice. Consult the shipping company on important forms and documents to make sure your relocation goes smoothly. The best companies will be happy to help.
- Packing your own personal goods can save you money, but be careful as this can hike up the price of your insurance premiums.
- It is important to try and negotiate with your chosen international shipper. Most work with tight margins but there is no disadvantage or harm in trying to make your pounds go further. Some may be able to offer a slightly better rate.
- Investing in marine insurance or shipment protection is crucial but consider the specific items you insure. E.g. you may not need to insure your older clothes or bedding.
What You Should Avoid Taking To Australia
There are also items that you should avoid shipping to Australia. The Australian Government website provides more details on what items are not permitted and what may be subject to customs duties etc. Some quarantine-inspection fees are impossible to avoid, but there is a lot you can do to make sure you avoid other fees to clean, treat or even dispose of your items.
Warning: Is Your Shipping Quote Too Cheap?
If something seems too good to be true it is probably not what it seems at all. The same applies to shipping quotes that are remarkably cheap.
The international shipping market is very competitive so there is not usually much between the prices quoted from the best and most experienced companies. If you encounter a significantly cheaper quote, remember to check the small print and look at what is and what is not included. You are likely to find that it does not provide the same service as the higher quotes. Ultimately, it may not be the cheapest shipping price, let alone the best service, in the long run.
Some things to remember include:
- Port-to-port services are cheaper but door-to-door services are more convenient and mostly likely the only practical option.
- Are all the quotes you are receiving for shipping the same volume and are they covering all the items you want to send?
- Do your quotes cover packing and materials, customs clearance and delivery?
- Is your shipping / removals company using cheaper but unaccredited shipping lines, thereby putting your belongings at great risk?
- Are they using quality export standard packaging materials?
- Does your shipping company have BAR Overseas or FIDI FAIM accreditation?
Why PSS International Removals Can Offer Low Cost Shipping to Australia
Equipped with the advice and tips above, you will have a much more seamless and cost-effective shipping experience. Most importantly, you will be able to find a reputable and cheap shipping option to Australia with no nasty surprises or hidden fees.
PSS International offer relatively cheap and reasonable quotes on shipping your personal possessions from your door in the UK to your new home in Australia.
There are many reasons why we can offer lower rates compared to our competitors:
- We have specialised in UK to Australia shipping for over 36 years.
- We help thousands of UK residents move to Australia each year.
- Due to the number of people we relocate, we have good partnerships that afford us cheaper rates without compromising on service.
- We have vast experience, which makes us just as efficient as we are affordable.
- We help you with the obstacles and hurdles of bureaucratic procedures when shipping to Australia.
- Having lots of past customers means we get the best prices for groupage and shared containers.
- We can also offer the best rates for air-freight for a quicker service on urgent items.
- We only employ skilled, trained and professional export packers to handle your belongings. All your belongings are kept secure and safe with us.
- We respond to queries and concerns in an efficient manner because our leaders are knowledgeable and experienced.
- Our very low claims rate means we can pass further savings on to you.
- We go the extra mile to provide you with even more tips about packing and specific items to ship.
Shipping to Australia – Get Your Quote Today
So if you are moving to Australia then do not hesitate to contact us for a no-obligation and free quote. Our team will be happy to assist in all of your questions and can discuss the shipping options available so you get the best price and the best value for money.
We aim to provide you not only the cheapest shipping quote but also the best service!
For further information on our services, please visit the following links: