How to ship boxes and luggage overseas from the UK – our FAQ Guide
It is important to ensure all your items are adequately packed for international shipping to ensure they arrive in perfect condition.
Please read the following tips carefully, as we cannot accept responsibility for damage caused by insufficient and/or inadequate packing.
You can read our baggage shipping FAQ for information about the process of shipping boxes.
How to packing your boxes and luggage for shipping overseas
1. Please check our customs guides for what you can / can’t send to your destination country.
2. It is also important to ensure your items are clean and free of organic matter, especially in countries like Australia and New Zealand.
3. We can’t ship lithium-ion batteries due to safety / fire-risk reasons. Please consult your Move Manager for the latest guidance.
4. Please ensure that the weight of each box is less than 25kg.
5. We recommend using our export-quality double-walled cartons which are strong enough for international shipping. If using your boxes or bags, please ensure they are of sufficient quality.
6. Please make sure that boxes are full to the top so they can be stacked without the risk of crushing.
7. Our smaller book boxes should be used to pack books, files and magazines.
8. Small pictures and plates should be wrapped and packed on edge. Small things like kitchen utensils should be packed into our tea boxes and individually wrapped where necessary.
9. Heavy items, jugs and large bowls should be packed at the bottom of a box, with lighter, more delicate items on top.
10. Pictures/paintings must be wrapped in bubble wrap and cardboard and marked as fragile.
11. Finally, please ensure your box is properly sealed and “H” taped with strong packing tape before the driver arrives; this will keep the top strength in transit. Sellotape is not suitable and should not be used.
12. For larges and special items such as bikes, golf clubs, and surf boards please contact us for special packing materials and instructions.
Tips for packing your boxes
All boxes/owner packages must be labelled with the following information prior to the driver’s arrival:
- Receiver’s name (owner of belongings)
- Destination port (not your full address)
- PSS Reference number as shown on your quotation
- Number of packages, including any suitcases, bags – for example, if you have 3 boxes and a suitcase, these would be marked 1 of 4, 2 of 4 etc.
Our export quality box sizes include:
Tea carton: 46 x 46 x 51cm (larger box suitable for bigger and bulkier items)
Book carton: 46 x 46 x 31cm (smaller box that is suitable for books, paperwork and heavier items)
Bike carton: 148 x 22 x 96cm (specialist box specifically designed for transporting cycles/bicycles
International Box Shipping Reviews
“Why choose PSS International in 2023?”
- Free home survey
- Family run business for over 40 years
- We only handle Overseas Removals
- Members of BAR Overseas Group
- BAR Advance Payment Guarantee Scheme
- FIDI Global Alliance (Worldwide Moving Association)
- FAIM Accredited (Removal Quality Assurance Standard)
Accredited to the Highest International Standards
PSS have a worldwide reputation for high quality service, which not only assures you of the highest standards of removals and packing in the UK, but also allows us to partner with the best companies around the world.
You can read more about our credentials and how they benefit you here.
International Box Shipping Cost Calculator
Want to know how it will cost to send boxes abroad? Our free online Cost Calculator will help you estimate the cost.